The Geraldine Walkway - A must do activity!
“Riverside rhododendrons and New Zealand native bush”
Within 50 metres of the vicarage you will find the Geraldine Walkway, accessed via the Barker’s Foodstore & Eatery next door. Don’t miss this beautiful 30 minute walk along the Waihi River, through rhododendron dells and mature deciduous trees, to the North end of Talbot St. Then either return along Talbot St, or cross the road and immerse yourself for 15 minutes in the beautiful native bush of Talbot Forest (The Matai Walk), before wandering back to the Vicarage. This is a one hour leisurely walk.
Around the town
Enjoy tastings of local foods including Barker’s of Geraldine Drinks and Preserves, Talbot Forest Specialty Cheeses, Waihi Bush Organic flax seed oils, the Saturday morning farmer’s market, local cafes and bars.
Browse the weekend roadside craft market, art galleries and specialty shops.
Pamper yourself at a day spa.
Watch a movie in our historic cinema.
Visit the very interesting Geraldine Museum and the Geraldine Vintage Car & Machinery Museum.
Familiarise yourself with Geraldine we suggest you book a two hour Geraldine heritage walking tour with the Tales & Trails walking tour (021 047 5087)
Embrace rural New Zealand (We advise you to book in advance with these owner operators)
- Explore spectacular mountains and rivers in guided alps2ocean 4 wheel drive tours (0800 425 772), including "Lord of the Rings" tours.
- Enjoy a slice of authentic New Zealand farming life with a visit to Geraldine Farm Tours. Get hands on with the animals and watch sheep being shorn (021 065 0574 or 03 692 2900).
- Enjoy a farm walk with friendly Alpaca's (0204 011 7629 or 03 696 3848).
- Horse trekking (0800 022 536) with Peel Forest Horse Trekking
- Personalised alpine scenic flights (+64 3 303 6400) will fly you over our highest mountains or take you wherever you want to go!
- Explore Peel Forest and beyond into the epic Rangitata river gorge to Mesopotamia,
- Drive to the coast and explore Timaru City.
For the more active
- Peel Forest is a special native bush conservation area, just 20 minutes away by car, offering both short and longer track options.
- If you are fit and have a day to spare you can climb Little Mount Peel - from the summit on a fine day you will enjoy panoramic views over Canterbury.
- The Orari Gorge Scenic Reserve offers a short nearby native bush walk over varied terrain.
- There are interesting walks at the Kakahu Lime Kiln & Pioneer Park.
- If you enjoy a tramp (or hike) with or without packs, you need to pre-book the 3 to 4 day Four Peaks High Country Track.
The night sky
The Geraldine Observatory is the best equipped private observatory in the South Island and is operated by enthusiast Peter Aldous from his home observatory in Geraldine. He loves sharing his vast knowledge with small groups, so don't for one minute think that you have to be in Lake Tekapo to see the night sky. But do book in advance (03 693 7337 or [email protected])
The Vicarage is located in the central hospitality precinct of Geraldine with eight cafes, restaurants and bars located within 200m. Three of these are right next door, and during the summer, the Geraldine Farmer’s Market is also next door in the Anglican Church grounds.
You will find information in your room about Geraldine’s abundance of activities
Links to local websites for more information;
Or visit the Geraldine Information Centre in the Kiwi Country visitor complex.